EPISODE 13: NAILING NEGATIVITY
Thanks for listening to my show, please share on!
Intro on Negativity:
The only way to break through the black cloud of negativity and worry in someone’s life is through the “GRATEFUL FLOW.” Flow is an endlessly creative source, and if you are anything like me, you will find that once it starts flowing it is hard to stop. Just like when “breaking the seal” at a football game or on a night out, the grateful flow breaks the seal of what you never knew was inside you in the first place.
What is negativity?
- Negative thoughts
- An imbalance in your ability to see life from a positive perspective
- Judgmental thoughts about others
- Being quick to say “no” and slow to say “yes”
- Giving up on yourself
- An expectation that life won’t work out for you
If you don’t think that this podcast episode applies to you, THINK AGAIN!
The average adult has 300 negative thoughts per day, about one every 2 ½ minutes, according to the Midwest Center for Stress Control.
The Effects of Negativity
- Negative and hostile feelings are associated with increases in adrenaline and cortisol, high blood pressure, heart palpitations, higher cholesterol levels and alterations in the immune system.
- Recent research has found that people having a habitual negative disposition are also at a higher risk for suffering from memory problems later in life, including a higher incidence of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Negative emotions can add to our stress levels, creating an increase in the adrenaline and cortisol response that may be responsible for weight gain. Prolonged anxiety and stress can lead to heart disease.
- Chronic negativity can also damage our personal relationships.
Conquering negative emotions is as important to your health as eating a healthy diet, exercising and getting restful sleep.
- Negativity is an addiction to the bleak shadow that lingers around every human form … you can transfigure negativity by turning it toward the light of your soul. JOHN O’DONOHUE, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
- What we focus on, we empower and enlarge. Good multiplies when focused upon. Negativity multiplies when focused upon. The choice is ours: Which do we want more of. JULIA CAMERON, Blessings
- People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel bad about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings. HENDRIE WEISINGER, The Power of Positive Criticism
Gratefulness can become a way of life if you choose for it too.
The term negativity effect also refers to the tendency of some people to assign more weight to negative information in descriptions of others.
THE SOLUTION: GRATITUDE:
Once you introduce gratitude into your life, you will never forget it. I am overwhelmed with joy at times, to the point where my heart feels like it skips out in fronts of me like a child or a puppy because I have trained my mind to highlight what I am grateful for.
The tool: Fight off negativity by letting the flow of gratitude start. Start giving thanks for everything you can think of, big and small. My flow right now would go a little something like this: [Ready go!]
(1). Start a journal
(2). Find five things to add to your journal every day.
(3). Start letting your gratitude and appreciation flow into others, tell them how grateful you are for them.
▪ “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust
▪ “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
▪ “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
My own personal negativity pitfall in fitness is the trap of comparing myself to others. Whether I am comparing my body fat percentage, my fitness level or my speed in a race, I am creating the path of my own destruction. Instead, I need to catch myself and give thanks for the gift of fitness itself.
Think about your gratitude flow about fitness.
Overcoming negativity in your nutritional choices is very important. The flow of negative thoughts or a self-loathing mentality will trigger emotional eating, binging and food as a drug.
It is difficult to treat your body kindly with what you put into it if you don’t think kindly about your body, yourself or your life’s circumstances in the first place.
“Self-hatred rarely has anything to do with your actual value as a person. It’s the direct result of a stream of negative thoughts about yourself.” –The Tools
You need to silence the harsh inner voice altogether if you want to stop the negativity stream from flowing continuously within you. You MUST start being grateful for what you do have and what you do love about YOU.
QUESTION OF THE EPISODE:
How has negativity kept you from living a joyful life and are you ready to step outside of what you have always known for the promise of a better, happier and healthier life!
- Confidence Coaching — launching soon — www.trishblackwell.com/confidencecoaching A 30-day program with intensive and personalized video, audio and email coaching from me to help you break free from anything that is caging you from success, confidence, and loving the skin you’re in! Additionally, coaching consultation appointments are coming soon, hopefully in December!
- Great read I wanted to share: The Tools: Transform Your Problems into Courage, Confidence and Creativity, by Phil Stutz and Barry Michels.
- Keep the emails and reviews coming! 45 five-star reviews! If you don’t know why reviews are so important, please let me explain: the more reviews a show gets, the higher it gets ranked in iTunes and Google. When someone is looking for fitness motivation
- If you want to support the production of this show, please go to my show notes at www.trishblackwell.com/podcasts and check out the show notes — click on the link for GoFundMe.
Much love to you all!
Love the skin you’re in!