HOW TO REFRAME REJECTION TO SEE IT AS A GOOD THING
We all have felt rejection or exclusion, and we are all guaranteed to have more of it throughout the rest of our lives. There is no way to avoid this pit of pain, so, rather than dread it or allow it to be a reflection of our character, it’s time that we take rejection into our own control. Rejection and closed doors don’t need to get you down ever again.
In this episode of The Confidence Podcast we’re chatting about:
- The universality of rejection and setbacks and what your relationship with them can be
- 10 ways to reframe rejection positively so that you can see rejection as a good thing
- Why I celebrate rejection and what gives me confidence that I will fail, but not fall.
REVIEW OF THE WEEK:
A weekly boost! by Beast, sick, game yo
I so look forward to Tuesdays! Trish’s content seems to always be spot on. She inspires her listeners to be productive, loving people. I admire how she has incorporated her faith into several of the episodes. Keep going Trish! You’re making a difference. Gina in Idaho
OK, LET’S DEEP DIVE INTO REJECTION. REJECTION IS A GOOD THING.
It’s all about how you think about it and your relationship with it.
As in all relationships, there’s a reaction and an interaction element to how you interact with it. Take a moment and assess how your relationship with rejection is. Does it define you or does it refine you?
jobs, sales, relationships, opportunities, friendships.
Why we’re talking about rejection:
We all have felt rejection or exclusion, and we are all guaranteed to have more of it throughout the rest of our lives. There is no way to avoid this pit of pain, so, rather than dread it or allow it to be a reflection of our character, it’s time that we take rejection into our own control.
Trial by fire:
Rejection is the first part of my professional career – Gold’s Gym, trial by fire. I learned a lot in the process – mostly, that rejection is inevitable and not personal. Make it a game, play the game and use the game to strengthen your mindset.
SPONSOR NOTE FROM NOEMIE
- Noémie believes that luxury jewelry doesn’t have to be overpriced.
o They cut out the middlemen to deliver exceptional fine jewelry without the traditional retail markups.
o Noémie designs and manufactures everything in-house and sells directly to consumers with a lifetime warranty and free shipping both ways.
o So you can save an average of 50% compared to other luxury brands.
- Noémie is the only fine jewelry company offering such incredible quality at this price.
o Featuring solid 18 karat gold for the perfect balance of strength and purity.
o VS Clarity diamonds of uncompromising quality that come with an IGI certification card.
o You can personalize with engravings, and even order custom designs.
- Usually, you have to “know a guy” to get this kind of a deal.
o At Noémie, everyone gets the friends-and-family treatment.
o Read the thousands of five-star reviews on their website and see for yourself.
- If you’re looking for quality fine jewelry made to last a lifetime from a luxury brand you can trust, it’s Noémie.They have thousands of 5-star reviews online, we suggest you read some and see why people are raving about this company.
- Go tohellonoemie.com/CONFIDENCEto see their collections and get $50 your first purchase with promo code CONFIDENCE.
- h-e-l-l-o, n-o-e-m-i-e, dot com slash CONFIDENCE.
o And don’t forget to use promo code CONFIDENCEfor $50 off your first purchase.
10 WAYS TO REFRAME REJECTION AS A GOOD THING
- Decide that you are going to like it, not shy away from it or personalize it.
- It’s a sign that you’re stepping outside of your comfort zone.
- Get some callouses – thick skin grows with time.
- It’s okay to be an M&M – hard on the outside and soft on the inside
- Pump yourself up – hype it up
- Reverse the role: chase rejection instead of avoiding it.
- Understand what a “no” really means (it’s the next no on the way to the yes you need)
- Be proud of your boldness
- Refuse to believe that you are on your own – walk with faith – Psalm 37:23-24
- Understand the life advantage it gives you when you become friends with rejection
Man in the Arena Quote
-Be dang proud of yourself for being a brave soul.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
WHAT’S GIVING ME CONFIDENCE THIS WEEK:
Psalm 37:23-34 (NLT)
The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.
I know that though I may stumble, that I will not fall.
This gives me permission to do bold things – to walk those ledges – to take risks. And it can for you too.
New Year Coaching Package – 3-month coaching to help you master your 2020 goals.
Tackle your blind spots.
Gain clarity -get clear and focused goals, and the strategy to achieve them.
Become a more effective leader.
Renew energy and improve fitness.
Ignite your passion.
Strengthen your relationships.
Accelerate growth on your goal.
Ensure that you are one of the 8% of people who achieve their New Years Resolutions. If you want different results this year than you’ve ever had before, then you know what to do: you must do something different.
Experience working with a coach – without a long commitment – email me for information about our New Year Starter Coaching Package.
LISTENER OF THE EPISODE:
Hi Trish –
I love your podcast and message. I am a long-time listener and your podcast is one of the two I always recommend to people.
I respectfully ask that you don’t share my name but I recently started a new job where it’s door to door prospecting for clients. I believe in the company and our product but my perfectionism and soft heart are emotionally crushed daily by the multiple rejections.
Do you have an episode or blog post that may help?
Thank you, I appreciate you so much.
- The Perfectionism Curse, Episode #354 (trishblackwell.com/354)
- Why Perfectionism Prevents You From Being Confident, Episode #335 (trishblackwell.com/335)
- The Anti-Perfecftionism Quest, Blog Post https://www.trishblackwell.com/the-anti-perfectionism-quest/
- The Perfectionism Detox – course exclusively available to students in the College of Confidence (which you can join and get instant access at collegeofconfidence.com)