WHY EMOTIONL EATING HAPPENS AND HOW TO STOP IT
In this podcast we’re chatting about:
- What binge eating is and why it happens, and my personal story with it.
- How to step out of shame and into strength with your eating habits
- Three next-steps to help you be free from the unpredictable tyranny of food
PARTNERSHIP WITH BEAUTYCOUNTER
You are beautiful, and you are mindful about your health and wellness in so many areas of your life already, right? Like with working out and with what you eat? So, isn’t it time that you consider the importance of the ingredients in the products you use for your personal care and cosmetics too? That’s why I’m obsessed with Beautycounter; Beautycounter has the strictest standards of safety in the industry and it is a company for good that does good. Get your own Beautycounter products at beautycounter.com/trishblackwell. If you have been looking for a way to make an income and an impact at the same time, then you might have just found what you are looking for with Beautycounter. Message me and let’s chat about how I could personally mentor you to grow a Beautycounter business of your own.
- Binge eating starting in high school; result of extremely restrictive diet and out of frustration over body changing and athletic performance declining.
- I felt and experienced silencing shame and self-hatred as a result of my binges.
- Certain seasons of my relationship with food could be classified as binging, certain as emotional eating; both seasons carried deep shame and isolation / fear. These patterns made me feel unworthy, ugly – inside and out, and small.
- Freedom from therapy, prayer, and the final decision to take a chance on creating new patterns. I faced my real fears and gave myself permission to be seen – not for how I perform, but for who I am. Sometimes that still feels scary, but I have learned that if you lean into the fear, the fear becomes quieter and you become stronger in who you are.
- I had to learn that I didn’t need to be bound by shame, and that my eating habits weren’t embarrassing or “bad” … I had to rework my entire approach and view of food and of my body. You can read more about that journey of transformation in my book The Skinny, Sexy Mind.
WHAT IS BINGE EATING VS. EMOTIONAL EATING:
What’s the difference between binge eating and emotional eating?
Binge eating: the consumption of large quantities of food in a short period of time.
Emotional eating: using food to make yourself feel better; eating to satisfy emotional needs instead of to satisfy hunger
An invisible illness – a secret shame.
But really, it’s not bad – it’s just a red flag that change needs to happen.
Impacts MILLIONS of people; 30 million in the US alone with eating disorders. It is estimated that 5 million women and 3 million men suffer with binging.
National Eating Disorders Association:
We need to get the word out that binge eating disorder is a real eating disorder that does not materialize from one’s lack of will power. BED is a psychological disorder and getting appropriate treatment is key to recovering. Early intervention is important for increasing the probability of a successful recovery.
If you recognize the following warning signs in yourself or a loved one, it may be time to reach out and receive the help you/they deserve.
- Feeling guilty, disgusted or depressed after eating or overeating
- Desperation to control weight and eating habits
- Feeling stress or tension that is only relieved by eating
- Hiding or stockpiling food to eat later in secret
- Inability to stop eating or to control what you’re eating
- Feeling numb while bingeing—like you’re not really there or you’re on autopilot
- Rapidly eating large amounts of food
- Eating even when you’re full
- Eating normally around others, but gorging when you’re alone
- Embarrassment over how much you’re eating
- Eating continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes
- Never feeling satisfied, no matter how much you eat
Finding a therapist and/or nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders is a great first step. From there, your practitioner can help set up a team with all the key players. Successful treatment is individualized to the needs of the person.
BINGE EATING/EMOTIONAL EATING ARE BOTH COPING MECHANISMS
Why does it happen?
Overwhelm and desire to numb or escape
Need for self-care and recharge
Your inner voice yelling to be acknowledged.
Desire for comfort.
Depression and binge eating are strongly linked. Many binge eaters are either depressed or have been before; others may have trouble with impulse control and managing and expressing their feelings. Low self-esteem, loneliness, and body dissatisfaction may also contribute to binge eating.
I was addicted to my coping mechanism, and looking at my behavior as an addiction gave me the courage to step up and stand up to it – it made me angry and gave me the will to say NO MORE. I am enough.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF:
- What am I feeling?
- Have I been kind to myself today?
- What do I really need and what kind of love am I craving?
- Is there something I can do other than eat that would feel good or comforting?
- I have permission to comfort myself however I want, but at what cost?
- Will this food feel good in my body (and I will feel happy about it or feel better than I do now) in thirty minutes?
NEXT STEPS IF YOU FEEL STUCK WITH FOOD OR WITH YOUR BODY
- Get in therapy.
- Journal and work with a coach.
- Sign up for The Donut Diet, www.thedonutdiet.com
ABOUT: THE DONUT DIET
Only available THIS month, October 2018. (If you’re listening in the future, still check the website to get on the wait list for the next time the program releases!)
The Donut Diet is an eating solution for emotional eaters. It is a revolutionary new approach to intuitive and mindful eating that will free you from the crazy cycle of a disordered relationship with food. It is not a diet, but rather a new way of interacting with food so that food can work better for you in your life. The Donut Diet is a simple solution for a happier relationship with food and a method for how to achieve and maintain a healthy and balanced body.
It’s for those who struggle with emotional eating, stress eating, overeating or who have a disordered relationship with food. It is for anyone who feels like they have an unhealthy balance with what they eat and who are just tired of trying to enforce their willpower and discipline in order to eat healthy and to have the body they want. It’s the solution for someone who can’t quite make intuitive eating work for them and who are ready to be free and fun about food and about what they eat.
Start your fun and freeing Donut Diet today, without delay at www.thedonutdiet.com
Applications for my high-level mompreneur mastermind are hot off the presses and you can apply at www.trishblackwell.com/mastermind. The mastermind will include individual and group coaching, online as well as in person, with the goal to help you double your revenue and double your free time at the same time so that you can be both a better, more present mom and a better, more productive entrepreneur. I’m already dreaming about what the retreat weekends are going to look like for us and can’t wait to make this happen – it will be lifestyle changing and business changing! Qualifications: you must have clear revenue business goals, you must have clear lifestyle goals for you and your family, and you must be willing to prioritize this mastermind with a year-long commitment.
LISTENER OF THE EPISODE:
When a cop stops you walking as you are listening to the podcast bc you are crying……️ I needed that podcast and wish I could afford you!!! I need you!