In this week’s episode of Confidence on the Go, we’re chatting about
- How to identify if you have an abundance mindset or scarcity mindset
- The benefits of having an abundance mindset – what it can change in your life
- 9 ways to exchange your scarcity, fear-based thinking for abundant thinking
Just a quick hello to all of my Keep the Faith listeners out there – thanks for being part of the community of contagious encouragement.
I am proud to be an educator and consultant for Beautycounter, a B-Corp company on a mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone. The lack of regulation in the personal care and cosmetic industry is astounding and it is harming our health in very serious ways. We need more voices to join up on our mission. If you want to put your passion to purpose while being generously compensated, then I would love to start a conversation with you about what it means to be involved in the #saferbeauty tribe that is Beautycounter.
Join the movement of #betterbeauty and message me via email to make your voice really resonate for a cause or shop consciously at www.beautycounter.com/trishblackwell
WHY THIS TOPIC:
- Multiple listener requests
- Necessary topic for everyone
- A truth I like to continually refresh in my mind
WHAT IS THE SCARCITY MINDSET:
The scarcity mentality is characterized by anxiety and fear. You wonder if you have enough and you are afraid someone else will take it from you.
…there is never enough
…there might not be enough
…I will never be enough
…fear that significance is limited
…anxiety that not everyone can succeed
…an attitude of competition
…belief that life is filled with restrictions and limitations
…suspended anxiety that even everything is going well, it won’t continue
WHAT IS AN ABUNDANCE MINDSET:
- It is the mindset of the happy, joyful, peace-filled person.
- It is something available to everyone; there is no limit or prerequisite on this type of thinking.
- It is how champions, superstars, achievers, and just, well, happy people who are living out their calling think about life and approach it.
- It is based on the belief that there is more than enough of everything to go around – for everyone.
- It is faith in action
The Abundance Mentality, on the other hand, flows out of a deep inner sense of personal worth or security. It is the paradigm that there is plenty out there and enough to spare for everybody. It results in the sharing of prestige, recognition, profits and decision-making. It opens possibilities, options, alternatives and creativity.
“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a
human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.”
– William James
WHY I STRUGGLED TO HAVE AN ABUNDANCE MINDSET
- Blue-collar upbringing.
- Mother who had a lot of fear about limitations, bills, food, etc.
- As a competitive athlete I put self-imposed pressure on myself to be the best … and in competition, there is only one person who is the best, so in short, I lived with a theory that there was only room in the world for one special person and I was desperate for that person to be me.
- Society, capitalism and competition have taught us that there is never enough to go around; but that is not a concrete fact, it is only a product of an economic system that feeds off itself.
BENEFITS OF ABUNDANCE MINDSET:
- It allows us to fail without fear. (much of life is a numbers game)
- It keeps us focused and encouraged in the pursuit of our goals, allowing us to actually attain them
- It frees us from fear and lightens our natural stress level.
- It opens us up to real freedom in how we live, think about and experience life.
- It improves our natural state of hope.
- It increases our self-esteem and our understanding of our value.
- It sharpens our problem solving skills.
- It permits us to become masters at stress-management
- It transforms our ability to be authentically positive
HOW TO CREATE AND NURTURE AN ABUNDANCE MINDSET
- Focus on abundance, not on lack
- Choose to see opportunity.
- Remind yourself that there is more than enough.
- Spend less time with complainers – and recognize the complainers in your life, reminding yourself that you are not like them because you choose not to be and because you are intentional in your thinking.
- Get out of the tunnel vision and look at the big picture.
- Surround yourself with success stories – they are literal proof of abundance.
- Teach abundance to others: “When you help another person get to the top of a mountain, you will arrive there also.” –Annon.
- Take responsibility – recognize your choices and realize that in every situations you always get to choose how you think about the situation.
- Give away what you want more of.
The single most effective tactic to help foster an abundance mentality is to give to someone else that which you want more of. Anything that you give away is something that you must have had in the first place. When you give it away, you experience that you have it to give. This is a backwards-rationalization. Your mind is thinking, “I wouldn’t give this away if I didn’t already have more than enough. Since I did give it away, I must have more than enough of it!”
If you love me, you will write a review for my book! 🙂 That is, as long as you have gotten a copy of the book! If you don’t yet have your own copy go to any bookstore or to www.insecuritydetox.com!
Also, to go with my book, I’ve created a FREE 5-Day Detox Devotional to prepare your heart and soul to get the most out of Insecurity Detox once it arrives. Over a period of five days, you will receive five-minute devotional and prayer-centered posts right to your inbox to inspire joy, infuse you with confidence and deepen your understanding of the truth of just how deeply God loves you. Get your free copy of the Detox Devotional by visiting www.trishblackwell.com/devotional
To increase your own practice of abundance in your thoughts, allow me to be your coach for my 7-day online Emerge Experience, in which I will help you train your brain and work on intentional living so that you can really start emerging into the person you were created to be and the person that the world is waiting for. There is more than enough need for you to be the best you – the world needs you and your love. Start taking your presence in the world seriously and start emerging…you can enroll in Emerge at www.trishblackwell.com/emerge
LISTENER OF THE EPISODE:
I discovered your podcast while I was sick with bronchitis and binge-listened to a vast majority of episodes while I was hacking away. You have been an inspiration to me! I am a psychotherapist who went down another career path for a few years and am now I’m getting ready to start seeing clients again. But, I’ve been plagued by doubt. What if I suck? What if I can’t really help anyone? Thankfully, your podcast provided that boost of confidence I needed. Podcast # 116, “You Have Power” was especially inspirational to me. What also helped me was your honesty about your past and current struggles. This reminded me that I don’t have to be “perfect” to make a difference in another person’s life. Because I love your podcast so much I decided to check out your blog, and I love this too! I wasn’t planning to write a comment like this here, but I just felt that I had to express my gratitude somewhere. I’ll follow this up by writing a review on iTunes. Thank you for all you do, chica! You are making a difference.