THE POWER OF SMILING
“What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity.” –Joseph Addison
In this episode we will talk about:
- Exactly what we’re celebrating today and what you have to smile about!
- The power of smiling
- How you can become someone known for your smile.
This is the 100th episode!!!! And that’s something to smile about.
LISTENER OF THE YEAR CONTEST!
Tell me how the show has helped you become more of who you are and how in turn you have helped others do the same by leaving me a voicemail on my website AND writing me an email with your story at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17th, 2015! Also, to be eligible you must have left a review in iTunes as well as subscribed to the show!
Prize package= (Total value = over $500!)
- the Emerge Experience
- Mini Coaching Session with Trish!
THE POWER OF SMILING:
George Eliot: “It’s never too late to become the person you could have been.”
I believe that a smile is something that helps us become the person that we can be.
A smile is something you can give to our fellow man.
SOME FACTS TO SMILE ABOUT:
After weeks of testing the appearance, personality, and attitudes of subjects and their influence on others, professors at Yale University discovered that a smile is the single most powerful force of influence that people have.
In a famous yearbook study, they tracked the lives of women who had the best smiles in yearbook photos compared to the rest. Women who smiled the most lived happier lives, happier marriages and had fewer setbacks.
The baseball card study also found a clear correlation between how big a smile someone made on a baseball card photo and how long they would live. The people who smiled the most turned out to live 7 years longer than those who didn’t.
- Children smile over 400 times per day.
- Happy people smile 40-50 times per day.
- Everyone else smiles less than 20 times per day.
2002 and 2011 study from Uppsala University in Sweden confirmed that other people’s smiles are evolutionarily contagious. When we see someone else smile we lose control of our own facial musculature, compelling us to smile with them.
- Smiling stimulates our brain’s reward mechanism
- Smiling has documented therapeutic benefits – reduced stress and cortisol, increased endorphin production and lower blood pressure
- Smiling makes us more likeable and appear more attractive
THE RESULTS OF SMILING THAT YOU SHOULD WANT:
- You’re more attractive.
- You’re more persuasive – can change the world.
- You’ll age more gracefully (frowning uses more facial muscles)
- You’ll feel better.
- You’ll have better relationships / be more likeble.
BECOME SOMEONE KNOWN FOR THEIR SMILE:
- Be the first to smile. Every time.
- Smile at those who refuse to smile back. Don’t let their lack of response deter you.
- Decide to smile when you don’t feel like it.
- Smile at yourself every time you wash your hands throughout the day.
- Double your smile output.
- See your smile as a gift you give to others.
- Let the world see your teeth – no matter what you think about your smile, every person’s smile is unique and beautiful, don’t worry about what your smile looks like, just smile.
LISTENER OF THE EPISODE: Jamie Gavagan
I stumbled on your podcasts during a rough time in my life. Confidence has been a constant struggle my whole life. I just started listening a couple weeks ago and I have been listening to at least one podcast a day and I also purchased your book.
I finally discovered the root of my lack of confidence today during your podcast #7 Trying to please others. Everyone and myself included wonder why I am not confident. I am beautiful, smart, kind and athletic. My family always ask me if it was something they did wrong with how they raised me. I am an only child and I have incredible parents. I couldn’t really pinpoint it either why I am not confident. But I had the revelation today, at age 23. Something I have been struggling with my whole life. I have had terrible anxiety and struggle with depression. I have a need to please everyone and feel I have something to prove to everyone. Every encounter, even ordering food at a restaurant, I worry what people think. Every person who has hurt me or did not like me in my life each time has affected me so deeply
Now it is time for me to change. The reason I am unhappy and not confident is going to go away. I am determined! You did this for me and helped me change my life and my outlook of life. You have a gift and you are changing peoples lives. I will always be thankful for you coming into my life. I am going to be happy, confident and no longer need the approval of others. I just need the approval of myself.
I’ll be listening and continue to follow you and purchase whatever book you may come out with. I will also spread the word on how life changing you are. Thank you!
I have six open accountability coaching spots – first come, first serve.
Accountability coaching is for
- anyone determined to make this year their best year yet and wanting assurance that they will stay on top of their game and goals, not losing focus or momentum through the year
- anyone with a goal that really matters to them who wants assurance that they will stick with their pursuit of their goal
- anyone who struggles with follow-through and wants to change that
- anyone looking to have an edge on achieving their goals or dreams and wants a coach in their corner to keep them on track and consistent
- anyone wanting fitness/workout accountability and personal training advice
- anyone who has completed the Breakout Program and is looking for their next step of personal development and growth
Be more of who you are. Be you. Be free.
IF YOU WANT TO BE FEATURED AS LISTENER OF THE EPISODE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHARE YOUR STORY WITH ME!
- Email – trish at trishblackwell.com
- Contact on my website – www.trishblackwell.com
- Twitter – @trainerTRISH
- Facebook – www.facebook.com/trishblackwellfitness
- Instagram – @traintrishtrain